The final day was pretty good - grey start in Wales with the weather improving as I headed east, along with the traffic increasing. This is the biggest problem with England; lots of great roads but too many cars.
I had a fun run through the Shropshire hills and some smaller roads through Oxfordshire, with blasts of excitement intermingled with dawdling along behind trucks or old dears - even B-roads are busy in England.
Lunch was a couple of sandwiches from a petrol station in a pretty spot near Wantage:
I do look like Barry has black wheels in that pic, which isn't far off the truth:
So, how was it?
After 911 miles, the verdict is in and, you can probably guess, it was 9/10 (got to leave room for improvement). I was most concerned about being solo but that was really not an issue. I missed some conversation in the evening for sure but the driving was probably better; I never had to worry I was driving too fast or too slow, never needed to check up on others or wait for anyone, I could change the route without having to tell anyone and I could stop places that only had 1 space left.
Our country is beautiful and Wales has the added advantage of fewer people and less cars. A stellar road trip which I will try do again next year.


No comments:
Post a Comment