Pages

Monday 1 April 2024

Run to the River

 So a decent run out with the Surrey Porksters, from Fairoaks airfield in Chobham to Benson (yeah, never heard of it) in Oxfordshire...

The clocks had gone back so the 7am alarm call was actually 6am and I had a few drinks the night before with friends, so I was pretty knackered. But it was dry with the potential for sun later, so roof down and a fun 50 minute drive to the airfield to meet the others:



Just the 5 of us but it was Easter Sunday so lots of people had family commitments. The traffic was pretty light so we had some good blats along some nice roads (pics courtesy of Artur in the red Cayman):


The Waterfront cafe did a very nice omelette:

The others had to get back so took the motorway- I tried to use my newish Tomtom satnav to take me a more fun route home but failed miserably. It was set to 'thrilling' which basically meant the tiniest, single track lanes - not what I wanted. I changed it to 'short' and that was better, although the M4 corridor is not the greatest place for nice roads.

I happened to be driving past Blackbushe Airport and stopped to have a quick look as they had a car meet there that day but it was done by the time I got there at 12. However, a kit car friend invited me round (he'd been at Blackbushe earlier and lived down the road), so I popped over for a coffee and chat.

The sun was out for the rest of my drive home, which was lovely - can't beat a convertible in good weather.

For the first time, I used my camera to film the run. However, the mount, stuck to the wind deflector, vibrates far too much, so the video at speed wasn't good. However, a short video was produced:

In other news, my son has had more bad luck - the turbo on his Golf GTi let go. Its going to a garage to see how bad it is - if he is lucky, it's just the turbo and will cost him £1200 or so to fix (lucky he just got a bonus at work).

However, this setback had him thinking again and he came up with an idea; he'd buy Barry off me and that way I could still drive him occasionally AND keep Zedster. I'm not sure about that - I'm not really keen on part-ownership but he bought an insurance policy (same price as the Golf) and he's had a few drives over the weekend.

His verdict was that Barry was great to drive (especially with the roof down) but the manual gearbox will be wearing on his commutes to work, so thankfully, that idea is out.

Booked tickets for the Goodwoood revival in September- only been once before and I stupidly took the kids who wanted to come home after an hour. Just me this time...


No comments:

Post a Comment