Pages

Monday 15 April 2024

Horseshoes and Chickens

 A wonderful weather weekend (alliteration!) gave me an excuse to get out in Barry.

On Saturday, I drove over to a fellow Boxster owner who let me have his Porsche decals that he had decided not to fit. I was still on the fence about these but I thought no harm to get them and add them at a later date, if I wanted. However, subsequent talks with others suggests I better not because they are difficult to take off if you change your mind and my paintwork is bad enough. But it was an excuse for a short drive in the sunshine...

On Sunday was an initial meet with the Porksters at Hindhead and the Devils Punchbowl. The weather bought about 15 of us out:


It was a bit cold initially at 8am but I put the roof down for the Hindhead tunnel - lovely!! I hadn't washed Barry for a while so he did look a bit of a state and I won the wooden spoon award for dirtiest car. Proud to have actually won something for a rare occasion but not worth bragging about.

After a nice breakfast, a smaller group of 7 or so headed off for a lovely drive down to the Three Horseshoe pub in Elsted. We were going to go to Goodwood but the members meeting was on. We got to the pub just in time for it to open and had a nice cold drink in the sunshine, trying to catch the chickens that wandered around the pub garden.




We all agreed - the best way to spend a sunny day.

On the way home, in an attempt to avoid the beautiful but always busy A272, I fluked an amazing route back, which was sublime - no cars, reasonable surfaces, twists and turns - almost perfect. ,Gawd, I hope I find it again...it was so good, in fact, that it has cemented my decision to keep Barry. He was great fun on roads that would have had Zedster scraping his seat bolts. What a callous, heartless git I am....

In sadder news, my son's Golf is gone. He was quoted £3k to fix the turbo and intercooler (I think that was unnecessary), with no guarantee that would be the end of the problems and he just couldn't face it, especially since he hadn't really bonded with the car. He managed to recoup £6k of the £9k he bought it for by selling it to a friend's garage but he is now carless and a little depressed, poor guy. He's going to save up some money and wait until he is 21 in July (cheaper insurance) before committing to anything else.

This also means he misses out on both my trips; Devon in a couple of weeks and Wales in May. In fact, someone else may also not be able to make Wales, so we're down to 2 of us - I may have to postpone it.

Finally, on my return from the day out, I noticed my spoiler was not flush with the bodywork. Looking closer, I seemed to have lost all 3 of the fittings that hold the top piece on:


Weird, not sure when that happened, or has it always been like that and only now popped up? Anyway, quick trip to Halfords, £3.09 for some plastic pop fittings and all fixed - probably the cheapest fix I will ever do on a Porsche.

No comments:

Post a Comment