Pages

Tuesday 8 October 2024

Butt-clencher

 Today was a milestone - my first MOT with Barry. 

With a new exhaust that has lost 2 of the original 4 cats, emissions were my biggest worry but it all seemed to go well and a pass with 2 advisories for discoloured side indicators. Strange because they look fine to me...

Been on holiday last week but I'm planning a long-ish drive up to the British Car Museum at Gaydon on Saturday. I have invited people from my Porkers group and the Boxa forum but no takers so I may be on my own. Weather forecast is looking quite good so unless it goes downhill, I'll be Billy-no-mates...

I'm having a struggle at the moment to get any enthusiasm from others for road trips. I really want to go to Europe next year but no-one else seems even vaguely interested. Even my son is not that keen; for him the problem is money - his car is costing him so much, he can hardly afford to drive it. In fact, he is looking to sell it but he refuses to get anything much cheaper, so I cannot see his position changing.

My Porkers group don't really do long trips together ( a couple have done their own thing) and I don't really know anyone well enough on the Boxa forum. My kit car people refuse to go abroad and want to do Scotland again next year. Scotland is just as far as the Alps and I know everyone says the roads are great BUT there is NO WAY they are better than France and the Alps - and the weather certainly isn't.

So it looks like, if I want to go, it'll be alone. I don't mind during the day but being alone in a hotel all evening is a tad dull. So my choice:

Go somewhere I don't really want to but with company OR

Go somewhere I do want to go but alone.

I've also had an interesting idea of going to the Le Mans Classic, which seems to be a French version of Goodwood. I've found a company who offer a package for around £650 which includes the ferry crossing, 3 nights on a campsite on the side of the track and entry ticket. They've also confirmed that I can book the return ferry leg a week AFTER the Le Mans event, so I could go to Le Mans AND then do a week round France. Genius idea!

So that is my current vague plan - just see if I can get a driving buddy to come with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment