Pages

Sunday 13 October 2024

Britpack

 So today was a 200 mile return trip to the British Motor Museum at Gaydon - and it was very good. I didn't realise that the title meant, museum of British cars, which is why there were so many MGs, Ford's, Vauxhall, Jags etc, etc. But it was interesting for that reason - I see lots of Porsches, BMWs, Ferraris etc at meets so it was nice to see some Brit history for a change. 

The drive up was pretty good - I devised a good route avoiding all the main roads and had a blast. My new exhaust is really settling in and is actually pretty loud - even my son was impressed as I drove up the drive. I left just after 7am, all alone as explained in my last post but I really enjoyed it. Not worrying about trying to keep a group together is actually more relaxing - maybe I should just do these runs on my own?

The museum is very well set up and modern looking with some fascinating cars - below is the last EVER E-Type built in 1974:


The museums collection of one Jag prototypes is amazing - some lovely stuff, especially the interiors:


This is a Project 7 F-Type - beautiful:


A 4WD XJS:



The 1st prototype XJ220 had scissor doors!!


If I was going to buy a classic, I'd like this SS100 - probably damn expensive:


This is an EV from 2008, a Lightning GT. Amazing, isn't it - I don't know why it never went into production:



This is the first ever BMW - based on an Austin 7!!


This 1930 Austin 7 was driven from Buenos Aires to New York in 1960, 11k miles in 8 months!!

One of the most interesting exhibits was a timeline of British car makers - did you know that the first ever UK car maker was Lanchester, in 1895? And that the oldest still going is Morgan, who started in 1910, a year before Ford arrived? Fascinating stuff...

I had a fun day - my route back was less exciting as I hadn't planned anything. I thought my TomTom would be able to reverse my original route but it couldn't, so I just set it for home and it took me on lots of boring, busy A roads. I did have a fun blat with a motorbike, though - they hate being shown up by a car so you can always guarantee they'll chase you!! Damn, Barry is quick and loud now - huge fun!

In other great news, Vic, one of the guys who came to Wales earlier in the year wants to do my Euro tour! Woohoo, I have a driving buddy...the tour is afoot!


No comments:

Post a Comment