Pages

Monday 9 September 2024

Goodwood Revival

 I've only been to the Revival once before, years ago when the kids were young and I stupidly took them with me. This meant I spent most of the day keeping them happy and they got bored by 3pm, so we left early and I saw none of the races. 

So this year, I just went by myself - it was (cliche alert) awesome.

I also decided to make an effort and dress up - bought a cheap vintage flat cap and waistcoat from eBay and it worked well:

Damn, Goodwood is...er...good - so well organised; (expensive) food and toilets everywhere, loads of stalls, themed areas, various music venues playing all day and the most amazing staff, who always seem friendly no matter how many burgers they've served that day. If you are only just a bit interested in cars, you MUST go at least once. And there is loads of stuff for non-car people as well - just brilliant.

The American Beach area - several food stalls, a band playing, dance floor - a really fun place to be:



An ear-blasting Cobra:

A Porsche 356, coming last:


One of the more dedicated outfits:

A McLaren-Chrysler with a very loud engine:


That is the GT40 owned and driven by Adrian Newey (head of Red Bull F1 team):


This Maserati was for sale for a mere £26k - I was sorely tempted, it is beautiful but flaky:


View from the bridge linking the 'Over the Road' section with the main track:


A 1960 F1 car driven by Jim Clarke:

A beautiful old BMW:


The 16 cylinder, 2L (!), 600 bhp BRM - sounded amazing out on track:





Possibly the most photographed car ever - the 250 GTO belonging to Nick Mason:

A truly stunning day out with only a few minutes of rain (it had been a monsoon the day before). I stayed until the last race finished at 7pm (having arrived at 9am), watched a twin Spitfire flyover as I walked back to Barry and then had a beautiful, top down evening drive home.

This is what Life is for...


No comments:

Post a Comment