Pages

Thursday 1 February 2024

Straight as a dye

 Time to get the wheel alignment done. I had it done once years ago on a car and it made absolutely no difference (dealer just trying it on and I fell for it, I think), so I've been reluctant but there's some very obvious tramlining going on and after my rear coffin arms were done, it's strongly advised.

I didn't want to pay Porsche prices (£300+) so I found a local company who had the Hunter system I was advised to use.

Friendly guys and they let me look under my car, which was interesting- in better condition than I expected considering the age.

The guy did the rear and all was going well - and then, it wasn't. He couldn't get the front tie rod lock nut loosened and, in his efforts, there was a gush of liquid as he pulled one of the coolant pipes free! Wonderful...

He was very apologetic but he had to go buy a new pipe (at his cost) and I needed new tie rods because the only way to remove them was to use some heat, which compromises them (aluminium). So I had to leave Z2 there over the weekend...

It took a few days to get the parts but eventually done for a very reasonable £180, including the tie rods.

I went out today for a test drive and the sun came out to play:

Most impressively,  the alignment has done wonders; the tramlining is mostly gone (still a tiny hint of it but hardly noticeable), the steering is lighter and, best of all, the ride quality has somehow improved. I'm not sure if this is expected or if I'm imagining it but much less bashing on rough surfaces (which is most of them in this country).

The garage also pointed out my front tyre has an ominous bulge in it, which is annoying as its expensive and has lots of tread on it still. I may use this opportunity to get my wheels refurbished and maybe change the colour? Bronze perhaps?


No comments:

Post a Comment