Pages

Monday 12 February 2024

Retyred

Spelling mistake in the title of this post is for comedic affect (I wish I was retired)...Z2 is booked in for 2 new front tyres later this week. The bulge on the tyre is looking worse, so I cannot wait until I decide whether to do the wheel refurb or not.

I'm getting Yokohama tyres fitted as they're £100 less than the Michelins on there at the moment and I am not a great believer in paying for the brand - I wouldn't get cheap chinese re-treads but I'm not going to waste money just to please the purists (and I have had comments about my decision).

As a last hoorah to the old ones, I met up with the Porksters on a short run from Denbies to the Chalet cafe for breakfast:



A good turnout of 11 cars on a dreary but dry and mild day - Z2 is lovely with the roof down, then engine howl just does not fail to make me happy.

A mini club also turned up - look at this cutey:


After breakfast, I headed up to Forest Row for what was supposed to be a Jap and Classics meet. One guy from the Porkster group joined me (Tim) as he lives not far from Forest Row and he knew all the back roads so took me on a fun route through some lanes. He's a biker (with 5 bikes in his garage) so I had a hard time keeping up with him - I've told him to come on the Wales trip in May because he'd be good fun...

The meet was a little disappointing, with no real classics there (unless you count old Jap cars). There were a couple of lovely NSXs, however:


...and I do like these Honda S800s:


Quite a few Scoobys, MX5s, MR2s but nothing too exciting.

The reason I went is because my son has had to sell his C63 AMG (£13k insurance renewal!!!) and bought a Nissan 370Z - he was hoping to meet some other owners at this meet but they're a lazy bunch and none turned up.

Which is lucky, I guess, because 1 week after buying the 370Z, it's sold!!! Yup, that's my son - he doesn't hang about.

He bought the 370Z because he wanted decent power in RWD, like his C63 was. But the 370Z was a disappointment; huge rear tyres meant it had so much grip, it was hard to get any oversteer (which my son likes), even with 320 bhp. It also had very little torque low down and it took until 3k RPM before things started happening.

Worse, the steering was very flighty and it tramlined everywhere making it very nervous and not confidence-inspiring. I had a short drive of it and you just couldn't relax in a straight line - continual steering inputs required to keep out of the ditches. Lovely gearbox, however, and a good looking car but flawed.

So my son took it back to the dealer who bought it back for £1k less. This does sound like he lost a fortune BUT the story gets weird...

At the moment, car insurance is all over the place - my son was getting £4k insurance quotes for a Toyota GT86. This was partly why he chose the 370Z - insurance was £2,500 which he could afford. So when it was gone (and literally on the train back from the dealer) he started looking at a new car and decided to go back to a Golf GTi, a car he had had before. He found a decent one locally and went to do an insurance quote, fearing the worst. He went to cancel the insurance on the 370Z but it asked if he just wanted to change the car details on his policy, so he changed to the Golf. He then gets a message saying they now OWE him £700 !!! Yes, insurance is £1,800 for the Golf GTi !! A steal in the current marketplace...

OK, the Golf is only a 2L engine but it's got 4 seats, which normally is bad for young people (we thought) because they can carry friends who egg them on to do stupid things etc.

Anyway, bottom line, he's got a great car which will do 30+ mpg even on his commute, £200 road tax, 'cheap' insurance and will still do 0-60 in 6 secs. He is desperately unhappy about losing the C63 (easily his favourite car ever) but this has at least cheered him up a lot and he is saving a fortune.

Best of all, with the C63, whenever anyone started comparing it to a Ferrari/Porsche/Lambo, his stock answer was, "yeah but they've got small engines". Now, I can laugh at him for having a small-engined car :-) 


No comments:

Post a Comment