So, the dreaded MOT day and poor old Barry failed miserably.
Major defect was a leaking brake line and it is the hard line at the front that, in theory, needs the front subframe to be dropped. My indie kindly quoted me £1100 for that job!
Advisories were also on worn brake discs all round (I knew this) and some play in the front tie rod ends, which I didn't know.
Initially, I was pretty hacked off but, with some research, I'm actually feeling excited. Firstly, I've known my brake lines were dubious for ages - this same indie warned me about them 2 years ago! So I've wanted an excuse to sort them out and here we are...
My mate with the lift is happy to help which is a huge bonus and I found a video of someone who, rather than replacing the whole line, just cut the leaking bit off, re-flared it, bent some new brake line into the right shape and attached it to the original.
If this works, I'll also try do the small hard lines that go to the calipers and the line on the caliper that goes between the 2 halves; all of these are common corrosion and leak points. I've bought a roll of cunifer brake line (copper/nickel mix) for £30, Cearth has a flaring tool and pipe bender, so we should be good. I actually did this on my kit car years ago and that lasted fine.
I'll also have a look at the main lines that run the length of the car and the rear hard lines, although the O/S is a PITA as it goes over the gearbox. There is a braided flexible line you can buy for that, however, if needed.
I've also bought new tie rod ends and brake discs - £400 in total but should sort all the problems out, touch wood. Quite looking forward to it...
No comments:
Post a Comment